This video (and the past few days exposure to Rastafarianism) really surprised me. I always thought, ignorantly, that Rastafarianism was a religion of tolerance and love, a religion that promoted healing and world unity rather than alienation and hatred. I believed that Bob Marley was the ambassador of Rastafarianism to the world, and that he called in earnest for "one love, one heart". I'm shocked and dismayed to realize that the "one love" excludes whites, and is only meant for blacks. It saddens me that a religion based on racist feelings for white people could be so popular. It saddens me further that many white people, in their ignorance, laud Rastafarianism as a great moral code. How can a religion founded on alienation from the world, hatred for the "evil" whites, and loyalty to a heretical "prince of man" be considered in any form healthy?
The video shows three handwritten signs in particular that I'd like to point out. The first said "Equality and Justice for all people"--surely an admirable statement. But this is cut down by the second and third signs: Black/White (signifying good over evil) and a black "R"/a white "X" (meaning righteousness over evil). So for whom is equality and justice for? Not all people. It's for all people who matter, i.e. blacks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment